Project: Children for the Arts: Creative Weekends
The objective of this project is: To awaken the skills and abilities of children in the Highbridge community in the field of fine arts, particularly music, dance, drawing and painting, and creative writing.
Upcoming showings, INEC Latino Movie Club
The INEC Caribbean and Latin American Institute plans to show the following series of movies and documentaries:
· Hispanic American Movie and Literature Series. This series will consist of several movies based on novels by well-known Hispanic American authors, such as: La Regenta by Spanish author Leopold Alas a.k.a. Clarín; Doña Bárbara by Venezuelan author Rómulo Gallegos; and Like Water for Chocolate by Mexican author Laura Esquivel.
· Dominican Cinema in New York Series. This series will consist of different cinematographic works by Dominicans located in New York.
· Puerto Rican Cinema in New York Series. This series will consist of works by Puerto Rican cinematographers born or residing in the state of New York.
Activities leading up to Jazz’s Centennial
The INEC Caribbean and Latin American Institute will hold various activities leading up to the celebration of the Centennial of Jazz in 2013, the year that marks the 100th anniversary of the first usage of the word “jazz” in a newspaper in San Francisco, California.
The following activities will be included:
· A discussion about Jazz and the Caribbean. Various Latino musicians born or located in New York will share their experiences and achievements with jazz especially blending this musical genre with Caribbean rhythms.
· Audiovisual Latin Jazz Series: Various cinematographic works of different genres will be shown, all of which deal with the history and protagonists of jazz.
Stay tuned for dates and times to reserve your spot!